Monday, March 23, 2009

Our days are numbered....

I received some very sad news the other night. One of my grandmother's closest friends passed away. I did not know the woman very well, but she and my grandma had been friends for over 60 years. Knowing how upsetting the news was for my grandma it filled me with sadness as well. It also really got me thinking. Grandma's friend was 92 1/2 years old. She was obviously blessed with a very long life. Yet, her death made me wonder if 92 years was enough. I have found myself really thinking, over the last day or two, if she had used her 92 years the way God wanted her to. I also wondered if she hadn't, would God have given her a few more years to get things right? Of course, I know that life doesn't work that way. Of course, I know that is why we have the beautiful gifts of Reconciliation and Last Rites. Still, I found my thoughts really lingering on that question.
I don't know much deep theology but I do know that God blesses us with our life and each day is an opportunity to serve Him. There is no 2nd chance life if we do not live this one the right way. I pray for the repose of the soul of my grandmother's dear friend.
I am also praying for the souls of those living who are not living the life God intends for them. I am especially aware of the missed opportunities in my own life. I am not living the way I should. I have a very long way to go to achieve real holiness. And I realize I may not get 92 years to get there. I need to wake up every morning and fall to my knees in prayer. I need to search each day for God's will and follow the path to holiness He has laid out for me. I need to rise above my weakness and sinfulness. I need to stop making excuses and telling myself there is always tomorrow. Recently at Mass the priest said, during his homily, "You need to live each day as if it is your last and one day you will be right." Wow, powerful words. I'm not sure I took them to heart the day I first heard them but today, I truly feel God calling me to follow this wise advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...