Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An unexpected response...


            This morning at church, as I sat with my children waiting for Mass to begin, I looked over the readings we would hear in just a few moments.  I was surprised to see one of my favorite Scripture passages on the list.  Ironically, the very same passage had come into my head unexpectedly while I was praying just a few days ago.  I even took the time to write the words down in my prayer notebook, though they really had nothing to do with what I had been praying about at the time.    

          Even more ironically, just about 30 minutes before we left for church this very morning, I assigned the same scripture to my two older children for handwriting practice, not having any idea it was going to come up at Mass.

            The gospel reading today included the very well-known John 3:16 but those are not the words of scripture that keep coming up for me.  The first reading was from Acts of the Apostles.  It, too, is a lovely passage, full of meaning, but it was also not what keeps coming up.  Instead, it is the words of the Responsorial Psalm that have come up, unexpectedly, three times this week.   

           I feel I have to share......
Psalm 34:2-9
“I will bless the Lord at all times; praise should be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the Lord that the poor may hear and be glad,
Magnify the Lord with me; let us exalt His name together.
I sought the Lord, who answered me, delivered me from all my fears.
Look to God that you may be radiant with joy and your face may not blush for shame.
In my misfortune I called; the Lord heard and saved me from all my distress.
The angel of the Lord, who encamps with them, delivers all who fear God.
Learn to savor how good the Lord is; happy are those who take refuge in Him.”
            Such a beautiful prayer, especially during Easter!  I LOVE the idea that we are all called to "Learn to savor how good the Lord is."

So, I ask you, will you, 

"Magnify the Lord with me; let us exalt His name together!"

1 comment:

  1. Kari,

    Sometimes it seems God is talking just to us and our particular needs through the readings of the day or the associated meditations. So many times I have had a similar experience to you.

    I love this psalm. I can really identify with it too.

    I write because I feel the need to tell everyone how God saved me, how He blesses me all the time, to thank Him, to share His goodness especially through my grief stories. I am sure you know what I mean and perhaps you write for the same reasons.

    Yes, let us magnify the Lord and exalt His name together!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...