Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The difference between the saints and me


            For everything that happens to us in life we have a choice.  We can look at things in light of eternity or in light of today.  We can choose to have a worldly perspective or a spiritual perspective.

            When it comes to unemployment, I can choose to worry about how long our meager savings will last or the bills that may mount up or the debt we may have to accrue.  I can drive myself crazy thinking about the clogged kitchen sink that we cannot afford to call a plumber about or the worn out tires on our minivan that desperately need to be replaced or the dental work my daughter needs that will require insurance as well as a sizable out of pocket expense.  I can stress about the horrible job market, the struggling economy and the hundreds of other people fighting for every opportunity that does present itself.

            None of these choices solve any problems.

None of them bring my family peace.

My other choice is to look at my life from a different perspective.  I can trust God even when there seems to be no real reason to do so.  I can be grateful that for now we have all that we really need.   I can even <try> to appreciate that we have been given a chance to face suffering (once again!) that will hopefully bring us closer to Christ.  I can offer each frustration, fear, and disappointment up to God or I can live a life of overwhelming frustration, fear, and disappointment for no good reason.  I can dwell on  all the unfair things that happen to me and sit around feeling sorry for myself.  Or, I can remember all the unfair things that happened to Jesus and be humbled.  And accept my little crosses with grace.

I think the difference between me and the saints is that they always made the right choice.  They chose what is so obviously the right way, and trusted in God always.  They accepted all their crosses with grace.  I do not always.  

              I look at the two choices- bitterness or peace and sometimes I am stupid and go for bitterness.  It is a hard choice for me, a really hard choice some days.  My frustrations, fears, and disappointments do overwhelm me at times.  They eat away at me, rob me of my peace, and attempt to strangle my faith..... but wallowing does me no good.  

Tim once told me he heard a quote from Bl. John Paul II.  According to Tim, John Paul the Great once said that the real difference between the saints and all the rest of the world is that the saints kept getting up after they fell.  If that is indeed true, maybe there is still a little chance for me.  Yesterday, I fell.  

But today, I am trying to get back up.  Today, I am trying to choose to trust Christ as best I can…..

I have linked this post up to:

5 comments:

  1. Kari,

    When Andy first lost his job, we were initially devastated. It is always hard to accept change when it comes unexpectedly and we have no control over it.

    It happened as Lent was beginning. I remember reading a Lenten reflection by Pope Benedict (he was a cardinal at the time of writing) where he said we were all setting out for the desert, and wonderful things can happen in the desert. They weren't his exact words of course! I started looking at our situation differently. We would never have chosen to walk out into the desert. God sent us. But we could be sure He was going to look after us and amazing things would happen before we returned. They did!

    It was a real opportunity to grow closer to God in a way we couldn't have done by ourselves. It wasn't at all easy. We had to fight all the doubts and worries which threatened to overcome us at times. Like you said, we fell but we got up again. And we got there. And I am praying that you will too.

    You are such a faith filled woman, Kari. Thank you for sharing with us. Your post has reminded me of the need to be accepting of God's will, not to get discouraged when we fall and keep on going. How else will we get to be saints?

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue- Thank you so much for your kindness. I had promised myself when we found out Tim would be out of work again, that I would not get too emotional about each and every interview and would not start making plans for jobs we did not yet have. But, of course, we did just that.

    After getting our hopes up way too much, it seems that God's plans are different than ours, as they often are. I set myself up to feel disappointed and confused and upset. I don't know if I will ever learn to really trust the way I should... but I am trying.

    I am so glad you and Andy have been blessed with his job and are doing so well now. It does give me hope.

    Thanks for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently Catholic online posted a prayer having to do with unemployment. Perhaps it would bring you some peace. I have copied it here. Life is so difficult at times and my heart goes out to you!I actually think this is a great prayer for any day because it says guide my footsteps. Who of us couldn't use this guidance?

    PRAYER FOR EMPLOYMENT
    God, our Father, I turn to you seeking your divine help and guidance as I look for suitable employment. I need your wisdom to guide my footsteps along the right path, and to lead me to find the proper things to say and do in this quest. I wish to use the gifts and talents you have given me, but I need the opportunity to do so with gainful employment. Do not abandon me, dear Father, in this search, but rather grant me this favor I seek so that I may return to you with praise and thanksgiving for your gracious assistance. Grant this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly- Thank you for the beautiful prayer. It would be perfect for many different situations.

    We have been very blessed to have had a very short journey to new employment and yesterday my husband began a new job. Though it was difficult and emotional for a few weeks as we worried and wondered where God may be taking us, we are now at peace and feeling hopeful for the future. I shared this post because I hoped it may comfort others who are dealing with unemployment to know they are not alone. And, to know we can always get back up after we fall. :)

    Thanks again and God bless,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hard when you are dealing with a struggle. Good for you for getting back up! Prayers sent your way that work is found soon!
    Michelle
    http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/06/readysetsummer.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...